Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mojo 174-Love + a tutorial + storage tips!

Hiya ladies!! Today's post is PICTURE HEAVY so I'm going to skip the small talk, lol! Read on if you dare;)

I made a card for this week's super fun Mojo Monday sketch #174!

Here's my card using stamps from Love Notes and the Jotted Heart and Classy Label dies--


The card base is a piece of Bazzill dotted black cardstock, I have a whole stack of the dotty paper and hardly ever use it so I thought I'd break it out today.


Here's a close up of the fabulous Jotted Heart die and matching stamp from Love Notes! I think if I had to pick a SINGLE stamp as my favorite from this last release, it would be this "love" stamp! I love the elegant font and that "L" makes me swoon:) I thought it would be fun to add this little stick pin to the heart, kinda like an arrow:)


Notice those scallops? That's not an edge punch, that's my Classy Label die! Wanna know how I did it? Keep on reading!;)

First I wanted to show you the size of the Classy Label die in case you don't have it {yet}...


This is the back side of the die, so the cut lines are just a *tiny* bit smaller than what you see, I'm not sure why I took the picture this way, lol!


You want to cut a few labels with your die first. The scallops on my card sample took 2 1/2 full labels.
After you cut them all out, you're going to cut them in half, length-wise so they look like this...


This is just so you don't have to cut as many labels. Waste not, want not I always say;)


Next you're going to glue them to your cardstock. This is the back of the cardstock. As you can see, the straight edges give you a really nice way to make sure your scallops are even! Here's what it looks like from the front so far...


Keep adding scallops until you're finished!


Wa'la! It might not necessarily be faster than an edge punch, but if you don't have one, and you DO have a Classy Label die, you can still have perfect scallops!

In FACT, you can have TWO SIZES of scallops! Here's how to make smaller scallops...
Cut out more Classy Label dies and then cut them in half width-wise like so--


Then add the pieces to your cardstock like I did on the previous sample!


There you have it, two scallops from one Classy Labels die:)
__________________________

I thought since I was already boring you to tears with all these pictures, I'd show you how I store my Verve stamps and Verve dies!

I store all my dies in these plastic cases I can get at the 100Yen store for 100 Yen, ha! That's basically a dollar...

The first one holds cuttlebug folders, the second one hold Verve/MFT dies, the third one hold my PTI Impression plates, the fourth one holds my PTI dies, and the fifth one holds my Spellbinders dies!


I used my SU! tab punch to create the file tabs and then just wrote the names of the dies on the tab:)


Whenever I cut extra labels/shapes out with my dies, I just keep them and store them in with the dies in case I can use them some day! Remember...waste not, want not;)

Here's how I store my clear stamps--


The first four are PTI stamps, the next three are Verve, and the far bottom right is MFT!

Here's the inside:

It's kinda hard to read, but the I have them labeled "Verve" then the release month/year, then the stamp set name.
I buy these CD cases at the 100 Yen store also. I get 4 CD cases for a dollar, w00t! I'm going to miss that place when we leave, lol!


Okay, I think that's it from me today, sorry to yap your ears off;) Hopefully you picked up a tip or two on making your own scallops or stamp/die storage! 

Thanks for dropping by today!!

7 comments:

Andrea Ewen said...

Great tutorial, Amber! I love to see how paper shapes can be manipulated! Super idea, I'm definitely going to try that out!
And thanks for the sneak peek into your crafting sanctuary! I love how you organized your clear stamps; I still have mine in the original packaging and they're starting to look a little sorry.

Andrea Ewen said...

And I LOVE your new blog look!

Sankari W. said...

that is scallopin' clever!!! and love the way you store your clear stamps - always looking for ways to organize things in my waaaay too small of a corner! thanks for the tips! and your card is gorgeeeeous!!

Tanya said...

Such a clever way to get scallops! Thanks for showing your storage, my stamps are still in the original packages sitting in a shoe box from a pair of hubby's work boots.I have been trying to think of a better way to store them. I was thinking of binders, but don't want to flip through them all to find something, I like the look of yours and ease of finding what is needed. I think I might go the way of the CD cases too, hmmmm.....

Marisa said...

Darling card, Amber and a fun tute on the scallops. Wish we could get the CD holders here for that price! You are going to have to bring a few suitcase fulls home with you and make a killing selling them on eBay LOL! Thanks for the tips :)

Tash Daly said...

I am thrilled with your tips on how to store various items. I am in the process of renovating a room which is going to be my craft room and have yet to work out the best way to store things, so I am always on the lookout for great ideas. Thanks so much. :-)

Amy said...

Love your new look here...and wow no one should be that organized..LOL